Henry's been practically begging for a Jedi Robe for, oh I don't know, about the last six months. His friend Jake had a birthday party on Saturday and so we decided that semi-matching Jedi robes were the way to go. They absolutely could not be the same color because (shame on me) they wouldn't be able to 'duel' each other. I googled "Jedi Robe Pattern" and found these instructions. They seemed pretty doable. I did a test mock- up and had completely cut the arms too close and he ended up looking like a wizard instead of a jedi. So round 2 was Jake's robe and I cut the arms much wider and they turned out pretty good. Henry is pretty tall for his age so I ended up getting about 2 1/2 yards for each robe and just cut Jake's robe a bit shorter. That's 100% polyester baby! I could never get the hoods to match up exactly to the neck holes (which I didn't measure- just eyeballed) so their are pleats on both robes. The instructions say you can cut the hood 12"x24" or if you want a bigger hood you can cut the hood 16" x 32". Jakes robe is has a 12"x24" hood and Henry's (the black robe) has a hood that is 16"x32"; you can see the difference on the top picture. I like them both for different reasons. The brown hood is a great fit for a child's robe and the black larger, oversized hood looks more like the evil emperor (or so I am told.) Henry has also decided he would like a brown one so I will probably make that one with the smaller hood. All in all, an easy pattern to follow and you can sew one of these up in about 2 hours or less making it the perfect nap time project. Oh and the polyester was on sale for 50% off at Joann making this robe less than $10 to make. I always print off the Joann 40% off coupon on-line before heading into the store just incase the fabric is not on sale.
Henry insisted on wearing his robe to bed. My heart melted.